"Ultimate Guide to Sonoma County's Great Outdoors" in Sonoma mag

I contributed a number of brief items to the "Ultimate Guide to Sonoma County’s Great Outdoors" in the July/Aug 2026 issue of Sonoma magazine. Specifically, I wrote about water sports, and if you follow that link, you'll see that my five items -- on Skip Brand and Lake Sonoma, Russian River Fly Fishers, kayaking/SUPing, the North Bay Rowing Club, and surfing -- kick off the start of the story. Give it a read and maybe find your next summer adventure.

As always, I also wrote an almanac item for the new issue. This time, my subject is bioluminescence. I spoke with kayak guide Suki Waters about the phenomenon at the mouth of the Russian River, where she leads regular tours. "With every stroke of your paddle, you can be throwing balls of light 20 feet behind the boat," she said. "Every ripple lights up.”

I've experienced this personally on Tomales Bay, another local bioluminescence hotspot, and it's nothing short of magical. Read all about how, when, and where to see it, and why it happens, in my story here.

Comments